SXSW 2019 is in full swing, but perhaps you blew your conference and travel budget donating funds to the ACLU, Planned Parenthood or your local Premium Tequila Society. Or maybe the chaise lounge at your Austin hotel pool is so damn comfortable that you can't bear the thought of waiting in line to see Buzz Band 2019.
Whatever the reason, if you can't - or don't want to - participate in SXSW this year, but also don't want your hip rating to sink to the Osmond Family level, we offer strategies to pretend that you jetted into Austin and didn't miss a thing.
- Turn off your location or geotagging on Twitter, Foursquare and all your apps, so no one knows where you really are.
- Follow and contribute to the tweets using #SXSW
- No one can track you are when you call from your cell to share how good the BBQ is at Stubbs.
- The safest answer to "Dude, where are you?" is always "Man, that line was too long. I'll try to catch up with you later."
- Force yourself to listen to as many of the songs as you can stand on the Official SXSW Spotify Playlist below and pick out a few to talk about that really sucked.
- After SXSW: Print out the official schedules and maps. Crumple them up, sit and spill a little beer on them. Then leave them around your office during the week after the conference.