Guide To Creating Instagram Reels with Your Music
While TikTok has been awash in press coverage, Instagram Reels has been edging in on its turf. Now, Reels has become a great tool for artists create unique content on a less crowded platform. Here, we look at how.
Guest post by Randi Zimmerman of the Symphonic Blog
In the wake of all the TikTok drama, Instagram Reels has taken over. For those who are already fans of TikTok, IG Reels is the perfect alternative to create unique content in a less saturated space. If you still haven’t hopped on Reels, here’s how to do it…
How to Create Instagram Reels with Your Music
Facebook has partnered with many labels and distributors, including Symphonic, to ensure that content is protected, tracked, and set up for new monetization opportunities within the entire Facebook ecosystem.
Unlike other companies in the space, Facebook is currently not accepting music to launch an on-demand streaming service, but rather, allowing its users to create unique stories and content using works submitted by labels like Symphonic on your behalf.
This partnership lets us upload your content into Facebook’s systems for you, scanning to ensure nobody else is illegally using your content already, then makes it available for fans to use on Instagram and Facebook.
How do I opt-in to this service?
- You can opt into Facebook monetization for any new release that you distribute. You will see “Facebook” as a selection via the “Partners” page.
Is there a cost to do this through Symphonic?
- Aside from any potential associated royalties that we normally collect a percentage on (depending on your deal), there is no additional fee or costs.
We’ve already seen how previously unknown songs have gone viral on TikTok and been launched into the limelight. On IG Reels, musicians like you have the same opportunity.
Once you’re ready, it’s time to create!
To record a reel, you’ll see a tool menu on the left. To start, you can:
- Tap the music note icon to search for a song in our music library. You can choose which part of the song you want to play.
- Tap the pause/play icon to change the speed of your reel. This will affect both the video and audio of your clip.
- Tap the smiley face icon to add a camera effect. Swipe left at the bottom of the screen and select an effect. To see more effects, swipe all the way to the left and tap the magnifying glass icon.
- Tap the stopwatch icon to choose the length of your clip. When you return to your clip, you see a countdown before your clip starts recording.
- Lastly, tap the overlapped squares (Officially labeled, “Align”) icon to see the end of your last clip. You can use the transparent photo to align your next clip before recording. This will only appear after you record your first clip.
Get creative and see what you can come up with! Get your fans to use it in their own reels and share the best ones on your profile or do shoutouts. Used properly, IG Reels is an amazing way to market your music while gaining new fans and starting trends, all at the same time. Good luck!
To learn more about getting your music distributed onto IG or Facebook with Symphonic, click here.