We’re happy to announce the release of our May 2017 schema change today! Thanks to all who were patient during today’s downtime as we released everything to our production servers.
This is a fairly minor release as far as schema changes go, but please do report any issues that you come across.
Currently, the only visible change for editors is the ability to add multiple lyrics languages to works. We’ve also modified the schema to support dynamic attributes for entities other than works, but the UI for that won’t be complete for another release or two.
Now, on to the instructions.
Schema Change Upgrade Instructions
Note: Importing the latest data dump is always a valid alternative to running
./upgrade.sh on an existing database, if you’d prefer to also get new data in one go. Just follow the relevant instructions in INSTALL.md. The rest of the instructions here assume an in-place upgrade.
- Make sure
DB_SCHEMA_SEQUENCEis set to 23 in
- If you’re using the live data feed (your
REPLICATION_TYPEis set to
RT_SLAVE), ensure you’ve replicated up to the most recent replication packet available with the old schema. If you’re not sure, run
./admin/replication/LoadReplicationChangesand see what it tells you; if you’re ready to upgrade, it should say “This replication packet matches schema sequence #24, but the database is currently at #23.”
- Take down the web server running MusicBrainz, if you’re running a web server.
- Turn off cron jobs if you’re automatically updating the database via cron jobs.
- Switch to the new code with
git fetch originfollowed by
git checkout v-2017-05-15-schema-change.
./upgrade.sh(it may take a while to vacuum at the end).
cpanm --installdeps --notest .(note the dot at the end) to ensure your perl-based dependencies are up to date.
DB_SCHEMA_SEQUENCEto 24 in
lib/DBDefs.pmas instructed by the output of
- Turn cron jobs back on, if applicable.
- Restart the MusicBrainz web server, if applicable. It’s also recommended you restart redis. Run
if you’re accessing your MusicBrainz server in a web browser.
For those curious, here’s the list of resolved tickets (excluding MBS-8393):
- [MBS-9329] – event_meta is empty
- [MBS-9271] – Prevent usernames from being reused
- [MBS-9273] – Fix the a_ins_edit_note function in older setups to not populate edit_note_recipient for own notes
- [MBS-9274] – Fix the edit_note_idx_post_time_edit index in older setups to handle NULL post_time
- [MBS-5452] – Support multiple lyric language values for works