ReverbNation has quietly cut prices and launched Select Distribution, a revamped indie music distribution service. With Select, artists get flat fee distribution on the 6 download and streaming services of their choice for $1 per track and $9 per album (up to 100 tracks) per year. Creators keep 100% of the income received.
The approach is designed to compete with higher profile rivals like Tunecore, CD Baby and DistroKid.
Does it make sense for artists to only be available on 6 services?
Almost 75% of global streams come from Spotify, Apple and Amazon; and that number is even higher in the US. The top 6 streaming platforms (Spotify, Apple, Google, YouTube, Deezer, Rhapsody) account for somewhere around 95% of global streaming revenue. So, $9 per album for 95% of the global streaming market would seem like a great deal. But this top 6 does not include specialty sites important to many artists like Beatport or regionally popular services like Saavan important to others.
In an age of fractured music discovery and consumption shouldn't an artist be available everywhere it can be?
How ReverbNation Compares To Top 3 Competitors
Note - all plans return 100% of net income to artists unless otherwise noted and offer some additional services.
- Per Track - $1 per year for for 6 selected services/$9.99 per year for all services
- Per Album - $9 per year for for 6 selected services/$19.99 per year for all services
- ReverbNation lists about 20 total digital distribution partners
- Per Track - $9.99 per year for all services
- Per Album - $19.99 per year for all services
- Tuncore lists 150 digital distribution partners
- Per Track Standard Plan - $9.95 with no annual fee and includes opt-in YouTube monetization and select physical distribution
- Per Album Standard Plan -$49 with no annual fee and includes opt-in YouTube monetization and select physical distribution
- Per Track Pro Plan - $34.95 adds music publishing administration and collection
- Per Album Pro Plan - $89 per single adds music publishing administration and collection
- CD Baby also offers frequent discounts on all plans (current code: 20YEARSPRO)
- The CD Baby Free option charges no annual or setup fee in exchange for 15% of sales
- Cd Baby lists 95+ digital distribution partners
- Unlimited Tracks and Albums - $19.99 per year
- DistroKid lists 150+ digital distribution partners