Lionsgate's "Hitman's Bodyguard" topped domestic box office in the most dismal Labor Day weekend in more than 20 years. 'Bodyguard' which faced no competition from new releases, cleared just $10.2M in domestic markets and $24.5M worldwide, where it slipped to #2 on the strength of Warner Bros. war movie "Dunkirk" after opening in China and Italy this week.
The revitalized 'Dunkirk' cleared $40.6M worldwide over the weekend, according to estimates compiled by comScore, helping to push it to a worldwide cumulative tally of $458.8m.
Warner Bros. horror prequel 'Annabelle: Creation' also continued to churn along in the top 3 both in the U.S. and international markets. Over the course of the weekend, the film added $22.9M worldwide.
The top 12 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, September 3.
1. Dunkirk - Warner Bros. - $40.6M
2. Hitman's Bodyguard, The - Multiple - $24.5M
3. Annabelle: Creation - Warner Bros. - $22.9M
4. Despicable Me 3 - Universal - $12.3M
5. Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets - Multiple - $11.3M
6. Cars 3 - Disney - $10.3M
7. Silver Soul (Gintama) - Multiple - $9.5M
8. Emoji Movie, The - Sony - $9.2M
9. American Made - Universal - $9.1M
10. Wolf Warrior 2 - Multiple - $8.7M
11. Dark Tower, The - Sony - $7.7M
12. Wind River - Multiple - $6.7M
The top 12 domestic weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, September 3.
1. Hitman's Bodyguard, The - Lionsgate - $10.2M
2. Annabelle: Creation - Warner Bros. - $7.3M
3. Wind River - The Weinstein Company - $5.9M
4. Leap! - The Weinstein Company - $4.9M
5. Logan Lucky - Bleecker Street - $4.4M
6. Dunkirk - Warner Bros. - $4.1M
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming - Sony - $3.6M
8. Emoji Movie, The - Sony - $2.5M
9. Despicable Me 3 - Universal - $2.4M
10. Girls Trip - Universal - $2.3M
11. Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature - Open Road - $2.0M
12. Wonder Woman - Warner Bros. - $1.9M